Monday, April 27, 2009

Module 6 Question 1

Taking an online course takes some motivation, but is incredibly flexible for self scheduling tasks or assignments. Assignments and other homework can be completed at the convenience of the student instead of the convenience of the college or professor. I enjoyed the format of the course because there were no meaningless discussions week after week, all information was provided, feedback was given promptly when questions were asked, and due dates were posted at the beginning of the semester and could be referenced easily allowing me to work leisurely through the course at my own pace.

The challenges in taking an online course are obtaining adequate feedback. Feedback is not instantaneous or easily graded or evaluated in an online course for the student. Unless the student seeks specific feedback the professor may not know there is an issue to be resolved and the student may resent constantly explaining the same issue or being a number instead of a person. The physical tangibility of a professor is desired and not really ever achieved in an online course; I don’t feel this is a great course for the online environment. When I think of innovative technologies or informatics, I think of tangibility, interaction, and strong communication. Not that these attributes cannot be accomplished in an online setting, but, in my opinion, these important attributes are limited and sometimes non-existent in an online course.

No comments:

Post a Comment