Thursday, January 29, 2009

Module 2 Question 1

Initially my question dealt with geriatric assisted suicide, and what interventions were in place to assist so inclined individuals or prevention of this type of planning and follow-through. However, the intense search eliminated all of my results except one excellent article. So, I changed my clinical question from suicide, to Charco-Marie Tooth treatments, with the same result, and finally to a very general search for cancer and smoking.

In the beginning I chose to use PubMed because PubMed is my least favorite database search. I wanted to have the excuse to familiarize myself more with the database and hopefully encourge better experiences in the future. I can always find articles on PubMed, but I always struggle to convert the citations into an HMTL or export citations into Endnote. The difficulty of conversion severly impedes the effectiveness of the search and decreases my desire to use PubMed as a database search. The search was not time consuming at all, just the time spent trying to convert the citations into an HMTL and ultimately exported correctly into Endnote. I would not use PubMed in daily practice, there are too many other great databases to use that convert to Endnote easily.

So, I changed my search engine to EBSCOhost because of the ease of use, conversion ability, and time saved in completing the assignment. I use and would use EBSCOhost, Cochrine, CINAIL, micromedex, google scholar, and most other database searches again prior to using PubMed.

2 comments:

  1. I too chose Endnote, but could not figure out how to access the on-line database for the Cochrane Library through Endnote. Have you figured out how to do this with Endnote? I did, however, find it quite easy to search on PubMed through Endnote (once shown by my husband) and then to import the citations right into an Endnote reference library. I'm sure I'm missing something simple in regards to the Cochrane database through Endnote. Fortunately I'm registered for the Eccles Library Endnote class this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the only database that can be used directly in Endnote is Pubmed. I know you can access Pubmed directly through Endnote, but I learned that other databases have to be searched and then the citations have to be imported to Endnote from the datatbase, itself. If I remember right, the Cochrane library is listed in the Endnote databases, but I don't think you can search it directly through Endnote. Of course, I could be totally wrong on that. I don't know if any of this made sense, but Jeanne LeBer is a fabulous resource (especially for technologically challenged people, like myself).

    ReplyDelete